It is a working Valentine’s day for my guy, so we celebrated this morning with one of his favorites – cherries over apples under oats (the oats make it count as breakfast, of course).
This is the quickest of preparations. I tested a few different sweeteners and ordering of ingredients – all with these two rules in mind: no mixing bowls or dirtying of extra dishes. Keeping the kitchen clean today is what romance is made of!
Coffee Mug Apple & Cherry Crisps
Ingredients (this is for one crisp – double for your Valentine):
- 1 firm, crisp apple, peeled, quartered and sliced (1/4 inch slice for quick baking)
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cherries (berries would also work well)
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 1 heaping Tablespoon whole oats
- 1 Tablespoon butter, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place fruit in oven-safe mug. Press fruit down firmly and fill to nearly the top of the mug.
- Sprinkle over fruit in this order: pinch of salt, corn starch, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon sugar, oats, remaining teaspoon sugar. Place cubed pieces of butter on the very top.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until fruit is tender. Allow crisps to stand for 15 minutes to allow juices to thicken and mugs to cool!
*A dollop of fresh whipped cream on top would be ideal… but a power outage caused our frig to go out (along with our cream). But you should go for the whipped cream!