Call me non-committal, but I do not fall squarely in the new-years-resolution-making camp nor the anti-resolution camp. However; there are some things I want to get done in 2015 – like learn more than 4 functions on my DSLR camera, memorize that Wife of Noble Character goodness in Proverbs 31, and continue to streamline the products we use in our home to be as clean and chemical-free as possible.
If I let them, my skincare products can get a little too wild under the bathroom sink. I have refined my day and nighttime routine to a handful of clean products that I will buy over and over, instead of trying every new potion that comes on the market this year.
I look for products that are fragrance free, use as few sulfates and parabens as possible, and are reasonably affordable – splurging on items that sit on your face for a long time (ie: moisturizer).
Of all the skincare products I tried in 2014, these are the ones that made the cut:
- Ole Henricksen African Red Tea Foaming Cleanser – deep cleans without drying my skin, anti-aging ingredients like red-tea, fresh citrus scent (Tim even borrows this one – maybe because it’s fun to see the foam pour out).
- Everyone Face Exfoliate for Everyday – packed with tiny exfoliating beads, enzymes from pineapple and papaya fruit also exfoliate and brighten, gentle enough for every day use.
- Caudalie Cleansing Water – this feels like cleansing/toning your skin with flavored spa water.
- Boots No. 7 Expert Sensitive Light Moisturizing Lotion – bargain alert; light yet fully hydrating with zero scent, so I can add essential oils or this if I need extra moisturizing…
- Aura Cacia Sweet Almond Oil with Vitamin E – I use this on extra dry skin (feet and hands), mix it in to body and face lotion, and use as a carrier to create essential oil blends.
- Mario Budesco Facial Spray with Aloe, Herbs and Rosewater – any excuse to spray this on my face and neck and I do; after moisturizing, before bed, on top of make-up, after a sweaty walk, I’ll even dab on Lambert’s baby acne with a q-tip and it clears right up.
- FixMySkin Healing Balm – the only balm that heals and prevents the cracks and irritation I get around my mouth (during stressful times, pregnancy, winter…), I don’t leave home without it.
- Eminence Tomato Sun Cream – splurge-worthy because of the purity of the organic, nutrient-rich ingredients (tomato extract, chestnut, aloe, citrus oil), sun protecting AND correcting (ie: sun spots under my eyes fading fast), also healing for blemishes. A little goes a very long way. The scent! I want to eat it and bath in it at the same time. If I have to pick a favorite skincare item, this is it.
- Alaffia Everyday Coconut Super Hydrating Lotion – this one had me at coconut, and was on sale at Whole Foods, so I gave it a try and am now on my second huge bottle. This is the every day, all-over lotion. I really like the price since I use it by the pump-full (makes up for the Tomato Cream ↑), and the light coconut scent from the actual coconut oil in the product.